In 1954, the City of Forest Lake, City of Columbus, and Wyoming Township (located in three separate counties) entered into a Joint Powers Agreement to finance the Forest Lake Fire Department. While the Department is subordinate to the City of Forest Lake, the cities that are signatories to the Joint Powers Agreement jointly own the equipment purchased during the agreement. The “Fire Protection Agreement”, as it is formally known, has been in existence for over 25 years and originally included the former Forest Lake Township. The Fire Protection Agreement is governed by a five member board. The board consists of two members from Forest Lake, two from Columbus, and one from Wyoming Township. Each entity pays a percentage of the yearly capitol outlay and operational costs of the department. This percentage is computed each year based on tax capacity calculations. The joint agreement has been a very successful venture, producing significant savings for all three municipalities.
Councilmembers Mike Freer and Ed Eigner serve as City Council liaisons to the Fire Board.